Cleaning/Refurbishing parts for re-use

On this page I will be putting before & after photographs and a short write up for the smaller parts I have cleaned up before re-installation.

Strut Rods

Both strut rods were straight and therefore could be reused. To clean them up, I first gave them a good scrub with a wire brush to remove most of the surface rust and flaking paint. Then I hand sanded them with some 200 grit sandpaper before painting (but not the thread) with a rust killer undercoat. Once this was dry I gave them 3 coats of matt satin black.

Update: I didn’t realise that the washer (which was wedged on the strut rod) was not part of it! – Only when the new kit arrived did I realise this. Interestingly, the suggested installation reverses the washes, which looks wrong, but is apparently correct.

Strut Rod Spindle Stops

As well as the Strut rods, the Strut Rod Spindle Stops were ok to re-use. These bolt to the LCA through the Stut Rod. The pictures below show them once I had removed all the grease & mud, wire brushed them, wiped them down with spirits before coating with rust killer and a couple of coats of matt satin black. Quite a transformation.

Brake Calipers

As I was replacing the front suspension, I thought I would have a go at painting the front disc brake calipers. I chose a kit which came with a brake cleaner spray can, small paint brush and a tin of blue enamel paint.

After cleaning the calipers I applied a first coat and let them dry for about 45 minutes before applying a second coat. I decided not to remove the brake line so I used a smaller brush to get the hard to reach areas. They look ok although I will probably add another coat before reinstallation.

Front disc brake/spindle assembly refresh

For the front disc brake/spindle assembly, I just need to remove all the dirt & grime before re-installation. A good wire brushing and the faithful putty knife, plus a coat of ‘jizzer’ degreaser did the trick. I then gave the discs a blast of brake cleaner for good measure before reinstalling on the car.

Front crossmember

This was such a pain. The passenger side captive nut was good but the driver side was a mess. It looks like someone had tried to fix this a long time ago but it had rusted out. I was able to remove the crossmember with the driver side bolt still attached. Queue my purchase of a cheap (but very good) angle grinder. It made short work of the bolt (very satisfying).

Once this was done the entire thing was wire brushed clean before sanding and paint. I was able to bolt it back on the car by adding extra wide washers on the driver side. I’m counting on this holding enough to allow me to jack the car off the axle stands when I’m done with the suspension. Then I’ll drive it the 1km up the road to my local garage and ask them to do some welding ‘magic’.

%d bloggers like this: