Fender refurb

I needed to remove the drivers side fender to remove the door so I decided to refurb both fenders as they were coated in surface rust. The rubber splashguards were falling to pieces so I’ll replace them also.

I started with the drivers side.

I attacked it with a wire brush to get the worst of the surface rust off. I also removed the splash guard as I have new rubber to install. To get the worst of the rust off I used a wire brush attachment on my drill. Once done I gave it a coat of rust inhibitor before coating it in underseal.

I painted the splash guard panel and then installed new rubber. This is attached with staples and was a really fiddly job but eventually it was done.

If I thought the front splashguard was painful the rear one was far worse. Eventually I had the staples (what a torture!!) in and it bolted back on the car. Then the fender itself, which went back on surprisingly easily.

I also painted the fender end door jam area whilst the door was off as shown in the two above pictures. On to the passenger side fender now….

It had the same surface rust, which I removed the worst off with a wire brush before going at it with a brush attachment on my drill. Next was a coat of rust inhibitor and finally a coat of underseal.

I then removed the old rubber splashguards from the front and rear panels, cleaned and painted them before installing the new rubber.

%d bloggers like this: