Driveshaft Refurbishment

The driveshaft is covered in surface rust and as I need to remove it to replace the pinion & tailshaft seals I will remove the rust and paint it. Once removed I’ll also inspect the u-joints and see if they need replacing.

12th Dec 2021 – Today was the day. I started by loosening the U bolt nuts at the rear, which undid very easily, presumably as they were coated with grease/oil. I also put a drip pan below the yoke at the transmission tailshaft as I had read that transmission fluid will come out when its removed.

Before fully removing the driveshaft I marked the ear which was at the bottom (2nd picture above). This is so I can put it back in the same location which should mean I don’t introduce any balance issues. Once the four nuts were undone, I pushed the shaft towards the engine which allowed it to drop below the fitting. This then allowed me to pull the entire driveshaft towards the rear of the car. The yoke slid out of the transmission easily.

With the shaft fully removed I then started to remove the U-Joints to replace them. I pounded on them for a few minutes before realising I first had to remove the clips (Idiot!). Once I removed the clips I was able to hammer them out after soaking them in WD-40.

The next step is to sand down the shaft and paint it. The slip yoke seems ok although it does have some surface rust which I will deal with. I have the U-Joints on order so I will think about tackling the front and rear seals whilst they are in transit.

I started to sand the shaft down and found some codes that signify that this may be a stock 66 shaft.

%d bloggers like this: