From the mess under the car it’s obvious I have a leak from the transmission tailshaft. I’m hoping it’s just the seal and not the bushing…but nothing has gone that simply so far.
Using a flat screwdriver and a hammer I was able to gently (as gently as possible so as not to damage the case) pry the old seal out.
Before I removed the old seal I noticed that there was some play in the output shaft. At present I’m not sure if that is normal or not, but I suspect not.
The good folk on the vintage mustang forum let me know that once the slip yoke is inserted back onto the output shaft the play should be gone. If there is still play the bushing will need to be replaced.
After cleaning up the mating surface as best as I could I tried to install the seal by tapping it with a hammer. This didn’t work so I looked for something I could use as a seal driver. I have a set of drivers but this seal has a boot which meant I couldn’t use them. I eventually found a spray can lid which fit into another lid. This gave just enough stiffness to allow me to start seating it using a flat piece of wood and a hammer. Once it was started I went around the lip and gently tapped it in with a hammer until it bottomed out. Job done!