Painting the engine, power steering pump & alternator

Back in 2018 I ordered some Ford Dark Blue VHT paint in order to paint the power steering pump, alternator and engine (or as much as I could get to whilst installed in the car). Although it looked ‘ok’ I was never that happy with it as they should be painted Ford Light Blue.

I finally found a supplier of SP134 VHT (Ford Light Blue) so ordered 4 cans which I am hoping will be sufficient.

I have recently painted the valve covers and they look good so I’m looking forward to getting the rest done. It’s time consuming, mainly because I have to remove so much stuff in order to get a decent paint job.

As always, as I start removing things, I decide to remove even more. Power steering pump, alternator, radiator & hoses, carb & spacer, coil mount and distributor cap (but not before adding numbering to each of the leads).

Once everything was removed, I removed as much much and flaking paint as I could. I even used the vacuum cleaner (don’t tell the wife!). As I had removed the radiator, the front of the engine was wet, so I left it to dry and proceeded to prep the alternator and power steering pump for paint.

I decided to paint the the distributor body with the engine, so after masking everything I gave the engine and oil pan a light coat of VHT Ford light blue. After leaving it to dry I gave it another coat and then another before finally adding two coats of clear.

I decided not to remove the distributor & coil wires, so they got a dusting of paint. I will replace these with new wires at a later stage. The result isn’t too bad, although to ‘cure’ the engine needs to run at operating temp for about 30 minutes. Before moving on to reassembly I gave the carburetor and distributor cap a clean. I think that’s the first time in 5 years I’ve cleaned them!

Reassembly went smoothly (once I got the lower alternator bracket around the right way!) – Note – It’s a good idea to take photographs every step of the way, as they can prove helpful during reassembly

The entire process (disassembly, prep, painting & reassembly) took around 5 hours. Once I’ve finished replacing the front suspension, I’ll be taking the car for a drive to help cure the paint. Job done!

%d bloggers like this: