The day had come when enough of the car was back together to allow me to fire it up. As it hadn’t run in 7 months I first disconnected the coil wire and turned it over a few times to get the oil moving around and to refill the carb bowls. The I reconnected the coil and turned it over.
After a few goes it fired and spluttered, which was to be expected, however when it finally stayed running it was really really rough as you can see in the video below.
Initially I thought it was a fule related problem. I checked that the choke had a live power source (there are still a load of wires to reconnect under the dash) but it did. I thought I may have dirty fuel but after sleeping on it for a night I decided the best thing to do was change the spark plus back to the ones that were in it. I had labelled them for each cylinder so they went back in to where they came from. Below is the result.
As you can see its running really smoothly, although at full tilt as the electric choke is engaged.
So the issue was the plugs. When I compare the gaps on the new plugs to the old, the new ones have a much larger gap. I realise I should have checked and sorted this out when I installed the new plugs but I was too eager to get it running.
If you are wondering why the mufflers are connected diretly to the headers its because I didn’t want to wake the dead when testing!